C: this is my specialty/favourite thing to bake! Every possible occasion I make this, as its so super unhealthy you need a special occasion to justify eating it, but it is totally worth the calories!
For the shortbread you need:
250g plain flour
75g caster sugar
For the filling you need:
90g light muscovado (brown) sugar
2 x 400g cans of sweetened condensed milk
as much chocolate as you fancy putting on top ( I recommend about 300g of milk/white)
How to make:
1. preheat your oven to 180C and line/grease your tins. I use two standard cake tins for this recipe.
2. put the flour and sugar in a bowl and then rub in the butter until it forms a dough. Press this lightly into the two tins, prick with a fork and bake for approx 20 mins until firm to the touch and golden brown. Leave in the tin until cool.
3. put all of the filling ingredients (not the chocolate… duh) into a saucepan and bring to the boil. As soon as it starts boiling turn down the heat and simmer until it turns golden and thickens. I would recommend using a whisk for this as otherwise the sugar sticks together and causes lumps – don’t panic if their are some bits at first that looks burnt. This happens every time to me, but by the time it starts to thicken they have disappeared.
4. pour over your shortbread and leave to thicken. I know you super want to lick the bowl out now, but be warned it is super hot and you will definitely burn your mouth. Wait til it cools and then peel it off the saucepan and eat it – much safer. Leave caramel to cool completely before moving on to step 5
5. melt your chocolate – don’t microwave for longer than 20 secs at a time else you will burn it. I usually melt my milk chocolate first and spread it over the caramel and then drizzle my melted white chocolate through it. Dark chocolate works too, so just use whatever you have/fancy!
6. wait until it cools and then use a spatula or knife around the tin to get it out. Cut into small pieces and store in the fridge else you will just have a (very tasty) sticky mess.
Let us know if you decide to try it! #twolittleowlsblog